Florian's portfolio/resume site project

Today has been an immensely rewarding day! My partner was having a bit of a low day at work, since he is currently actively seeking better fitting employment, and he casually said whether perhaps a website would make his applications stand more out. I reckon he did not expect me to dive headfirst into Bootstrap templates to build him one in a few hours by the time he got back!

Since he is a technical engineer, I wanted to make it a bit thematic and include some animated gears. That was hell of a lot of fun, since my partner immediately stepped into the "client" shoes and demanded the cogwheels to turn fast and ferociously. Luckily I managed to convince him that it would be counterproductive, since it would distract the viewer from the actual content. Now there are slowly, yet surely rotating gears on his personal site, and I swore on my pinky that these gears will be the reason he secures an interview, because they beat boring resumes any day!

Domain shopping went smoothly as ever, .pro domain only cost 3 dollars and hey, why not stroke a technical engineer's ego a bit by making their website PRO by default? :P

Here's the end product: https://florianhaeberli.pro



Things I learned:

  • Bootstrap template modification. This was proper headache at times, I've never had to use so much !important for basic things such as font color. But I guess it's simply one of those things you eventually learn to automatically do. 
  • JS animations. Website implements rotating cogwheels for that thematic touch!
  • responsiveness: font sizes on desktop were entirely too small, so I had to manually go over all of the content to make sure it was easy on the eyes
As a conclusion however, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly and with a few styling additions you can make a beautiful site. Definitely great for customers who don't have a specific artistic vision and just want a functional responsive site. I will however aim to personalise every template I use (such as doing with the gear animations and color scheme on this project), otherwise it feels as impersonal copy-paste. 

This project etched my love for Front End even deeper. I know that a rotating gear animation may seem arbitrary, but when I saw the smiling face of my partner seeing his OWN website incorporating elements that truly make it HIS, I knew it's a job for me. 

Creating joy from pixels!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Github and Godaddy domain

Technical task continues!

My portfolio creation