Portfolio site completion and humble job seeking

Today is a very happy day. Spent around a week of polishing, but here it is: https://anzudev.com. My web-home is ready! Here it is on mobile view (600px viewport)


I learned a lot during these last days, especially since the site is using vanilla CSS/HTML. So I went back to Flexbox basics to make sure my images and content line up in all screen sizes.

Gallery was the biggest challenge, since I was relying on Bootstrap's Lightbox so much. But after some googling I found a nifty solution I could restyle for my own site. Here is a before/after. The buttons felt a bit 1999, so I used Awesome Icons instead and positioned them on top instead of on the sides.

After adding the personal section where witch hats and cats were mandatory of course, I finally felt ready to do the thing I've dreaded for a while: start to search for real life jobs in front end field. Since I'm self taught with no computer science university degree it's easy to feel inferior, but today I sat down, opened up some Junior position listings and found one that actually spoke to me. 

Well I knew all of this learning led up to this moment, so there was no delaying any more. I took a deep breath and asked my cat if I am good enough. He "brrrped" and that was it! I updated my resume and I actually submitted the application. They asked for an annual salary expectation and that's where I really stumbled. Usual junior web dev positions according to different sources average at 80-90K/year in Zurich. Since I don't have any actual workplace experience, I kind of perceive myself as "more hassle than usual", so I put down 60K. However, when it comes to "the number", I am more flexible than a circus artist. Right now, it's experience I seek, not the money. Let's hope that company is kind enough to throw the dice and give me a chance. Because oh my, how I long for some startup grind! (hey that rhymed!)

Meanwhile, I noticed 2 themes from many job listings: React and Angular. And these are the topics that I have not yet touched in either of Colt's courses. So to be better prepared, I looked up some videos on Youtube. Tonight my companion will be Angular's Crash Course:

And after that I'll find something similar on React. Let's pack that brain of mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Github and Godaddy domain

Technical task continues!

My portfolio creation